Youth Shooting At The Rock

What is going on at your club?
smokem

Youth Shooting At The Rock

Post by smokem »

I had the pleasure of working with and taking pictures of Joe and Tom Popek at the Rockingham Gun Club Sunday. Their father is currently serving our Country overseas and we pray for his safety and a speedy return to the USA.

One of our newest members Greg Fox contacted me about getting the boys out for a little trapshooting. We discussed the weekend and Sunday turned out to be the best day but looked like the worst shooting conditions.

Both of the boys are accomplished runners and are interested in other sports. When they arrived they were bundled up and ready to smell some gunpowder and spread some lead.

When I asked who wanted to go first Joe spoke up first. We grabbed the youth model 20 gauge and Joe stepped up behind the traphouse. We set the trap on straightaways and Joe called for his first bird.

Prior to this Greg worked with the boys on gun safety and I worked with them on stance and gun mount. When Joe squeezed off his first shot he realized real quick what recoil was. We explained that if he would tighten up on the gun and lean a bit forward the recoil would be a little less noticeable.

I would like to say that Joe broke his first bird out of the house but it wasn't long before he was breaking birds consistently. He did a great job and really caught on to what we were asking him to do. With a little more practice Joe will be a real good shot.

Big brother Tom not only shot the 20 he grabbed the Winchester 12 gauge and put on a show.. The targets were jumping and dipping and Tom was breaking them anywhere they flew. Of course he missed a few but he broke a lot of clays with both gauge guns. He also broke targets from the 16 yard line where shooters normally shoot competition singles and doubles.

All in all both guys did a great job and we hope they will be back to the Gun Club real soon. Even Greg mashed a few birds when the guys weren't shooting. I have posted a link below of pictures I took of Greg and the boys!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... =slideshow