Gene "Hap McTweaks" Hapney

Arrangement Information
smokem

Gene "Hap McTweaks" Hapney

Post by smokem »

Found out today Gene passed and I don't have a whole lot of details. I know he had cancer and sure hate to hear of his passing. Here is a picture I found of him at the Buckhorn Gun Club in one of their old Trap & Fields.

Obit info....

Grady "Gene" Hapney, 75, died February 3rd, 2019, at home surrounded by family.

He was born in Pond Gap, WV on November 3, 1943, son of the late Lemon & Julia (Roupe) Hapney.

He was an accomplished Iron worker, who worked on projects all over the United States. "Hap" as he was affectionately known was a winner of the Senior Veteran Class Champion of Champions Trap Shooting Event and famed shooting instructor. He won many awards at competitions and trap-shoots all over the country. An avid deer, pheasant, and quail hunter, fisherman, and sporting enthusiast, he had a love of the great outdoors. Gene was a loyal and beloved son, brother, father, uncle, and grandfather, who devoted his life to family and friends. "Hap", will be missed by the Trap Shooting Community for his unmatched skill & love of the shooting sport. In the near future, Trap & Field Magazine will publish a tribute in honor of his dedication & accomplishments in the Trap Shooting Community.

He was preceded in death by his parents, brothers, sisters, and two infant grandsons.

He is survived by his loving children; Lacy Hapney (Sheila) of Belpre, Dawn Hapney Jenkins (Gary) of Belpre, and Douglas Hapney (Carolyn), of Torch, Ohio; brother Raymond Hapney; sister Theda Gabbert; and many nieces and nephews. He is also survived by his devoted companion of thirty years Ruth Camack; her children; grandchildren Kortney, Brian, Erika, Ashlee, and Thomas; and three great-grandchildren; Maxwell, Gunnar, and newborn Harrison.
smokem

Re: Gene "Hap McTweaks" Hapney

Post by smokem »

This was posted by Janessa Beamna and written by her father Jay...…

The Autumn Grand in 2007 was Janessa’s first satellite Grand she would compete in. She would break her first 100 straight there, broke a 99 in the Remington Nitro Handicap Championship and won event champion, and broke 99 in the Doubles Championship the first time she competed in a Doubles Championship. Yet of all these accomplishments, the greatest prize to come from this shoot would be securing a life long friendship with a guy we had just met, Gene Hapney.

Gene was one of those guys that never met a fella he didn’t like. He could talk with anyone and exchange stories with the best of them. I could only imagine if he had sat with Hemingway or even Patrick McManus the stories that would have unfolded. He not only described characters, he was a character. His trademark hat and smile could be seen clean across the trap range, whether it was at the local club or the Grand American.

Janessa was lucky enough to have shot with him that first time, and he instantly became her biggest fan and supporter. He recognized her talent and drive right away and often told me he had never met a person with a stronger mental game than hers. When she shot, she locked in and was the toughest competitor on this planet. His words almost embarrassed us, as this was not your average Joe Blow trapshooter. This was a man that knew the game beyond the realm of others, and knew the greats from the glorious past to the present. He was a walking encyclopedia on trapshooting and served us well over the years. Where ever they shot together, he would make a point to look her up and watch her, whether he was shooting or not.

He followed her career and was always there with a smile and words of encouragement. He would get angry at anyone that tried to bring her down or say anything negative about her. I think that’s what made us such great friends, as he cared for my daughter like she was family. But then Gene had a lot of family just like her. And I admired him for that.

Gene passed away this morning, the day after her birthday. I am saddened beyond words. The shoots in Arizona and the Grand will never be the same again. I know I will still look for him and his hat. The only comfort I have is knowing he will be there in spirit, watching over and cheering her on along with the many others he helped and encouraged. I will miss him greatly.