RCGC National Trapshooting Month 10/16/21

Post shoot results!
smokem

RCGC National Trapshooting Month 10/16/21

Post by smokem »

The Rockingham County Gun Club hosted National Trapshooting Month on October 16th, 2021. Last year it was hosted, and the club purchased close to $1300 worth of Shamrock leather trophies. That shoot was the biggest attendance of any shoot ever held at the range.

This year the weather started out great with sunny skies and minimal winds. Mark Cox mentioned the fact of very little wind and I quickly walked away saying you shouldn’t have said that. The first four squads took the line and there was very little wind until the 2nd 50 and here it slipped in. Caleb Mathis broke 50 straight on trap 1 and missed a woopdeedoo target on his third box on post 2 I believe. He would not mis another for a winning 99.

Handicap cranked up and Sam McInteer put together a solid 92 from the 20-yard line for the winning caps score and a punch to the 20.5. Caleb Mathis was a close 2nd with a 90 after experiencing trap and ERAD issues…….

We had four squads for doubles and yes, the wind was blowing but the last 5 pair for the last squad shooting were unreal. As the cold front approached the wind kept building and for the shooters on field three the updraft was lifting the targets maybe 300 feet in the air. Caleb Mathis escaped that wind but battled it for a solid 95 and the winning score. He also took the HOA with 99/90/95 for a 284x300.

All in all, it was a great day and thanks to the Thursday crew for their target loading and of course the grass crew got the place looking sharp. We had four great refs that included Steve Morgan, Romeo Piersanti, Tommy Brown, and Doug Monjeau. Our loaders included Dean McPhail, Jim Anemone, Phil Graham, Ed Gideon, James Brown, Brian Pilcher, Van Fleming. Also, Jeff Martin and Margaret Johnson for sign-up and scores and Scott Shoulars for lunch. And we can’t forget the RCGC trap director Lane Murray for all his work and guidance. If I missed anyone just let me know and we will add them. Not to forget all of the other RCGC club volunteers that worked in previous events we thank you also!

Very soon we will be sitting down to prepare for the 2022 target season. That includes the SCTP event in the Spring and several shoots between that and the NTD Month shoot in October. We are contemplating the idea of competitors needing to shoot in events prior to the NTD shoot to qualify to win trophies at that event. Just an idea and nothing is written in stone at this time.