SCTP State Singles Championship @ The ROCK

Post shoot results!
smokem

SCTP State Singles Championship @ The ROCK

Post by smokem »

The Rockingham County Gun Club hosted its 2nd Annual SCTP State Singles Championship Saturday May 11th. All weather reports pointed to a wet and soggy day with copious amounts of liquid falling from the heavens. It did rain and it was wet, but it really wasn’t that bad all day.

A little history was made Saturday with 6 traps in operation for the registered ATA event. With the addition of ERADS on traps 5 and 6 and the addition of a PAT Wobble trap on trap 6. Last year we ran 4 traps and miraculously managed to get all events shot.

We got to the club a little early and we looked at the gate a line of vehicles streamed into the club and we knew we had a big job at hand. First I would like to say thanks to Jeff Allen and Margaret Johnson for their vision and to Lane Murray to make that vision come alive at the Rock. The registration process was refined, and we had three squads ready to shoot at 9:30.

The singles cranked up and went pretty smooth except for a squadding issue that was quickly resolved. The traps worked great and the starting refs were Hunter Galloway on 1, Ronnie Manuel on 2, Jim Roland on 3, Jeff Galloway on 4, Mark Spoon on 5 and DeWayne Thomas on trap 6. We had trap loaders and Romeo helped manage issues that had to be handled.

The youth and their parents all assembled before the shooting started and they had a prayer and sang the star-spangled banner without music in the clubhouse. It was a touching moment and I did get to video the entire prayer and singing.

The singles wound down and lunch was served at noon with the handicap in progress. During that time all the trophy winners were established and man what a job that was for Jeff and Margaret. The handicap finished and the clubhouse was filled with all the youth shooters and their family.

It took quite awhile to get all the medals and trophies awarded and to get pictures of all the teams and individual winners. It was quite a process and after it was finished the doubles cranked up with 4 squads. The rain was a little more intense and the skies just a bit darker, but it looked like they were having fun.

One interesting thing was that some of these youngsters had never shot ATA style 16-yard targets before. However, they were well mannered, very respectful and very safe on the line. These coaches should be very proud of their kids because they were trained well and that was a great relief.

I will be posting pictures as time allows and a big thanks to the SCTP youth, coaches and their families for shooting at the ROCK. Thanks to all that helped including Clem, Lewis, Romeo, Scott Shoulars, Galloways, Alversons and I know I am leaving some folks out. Our goal is to promote trapshooting to the masses and not to just a select few and hopefully make some great memories for years to come.

We are focused on 2020 and making the SCTP Singles Championship even bigger and better. Our turnout wasn’t as big as 2018 but it was just what we could handle for this event. If you are interested in learning more about this event please email me at freddydacrusher@hotmail.com