Marathon At The Rock - 4/6/2013

Post shoot results!
smokem

Marathon At The Rock - 4/6/2013

Post by smokem »

The Rockingham Gun Club held their monthly trapshoot Saturday April 6th, 2013. 500 targets were thrown with 200 singles, 200 handicap and 50 pair of doubles. The weather was great and it was cool from about 10AM until noon. We had folks show up from the coast and the mountains and would like to thank all that attended.

Watauga shooter Steve Watson made the trip to the Rock and managed to outshoot the field in both hundreds. He broke a solid 96 in the first 100 and a solid 98 on the second 100. I had the pleasure of scoring his last 50 targets and he was in the zone.

We broke for lunch after the 200 singles and wound up shooting 4 fields for the handicap. We started three fields in the singles shooting 50 per field and we started 4 fields in the caps shooting 25 and rotating to the right. Everything went pretty smooth and thanks for working with us to get the 500 shot in a timely manner.

Tommy Brown wound up winning the 1st 100 with a 91 and Winky Mabe won the second 100 with a 96 and got a ½ yard punch. Winky posted the high score for the 200 combined with a total of 184. Only three 25’s were broken with Lane Murray, Winky and Jack Young the hotshots.

Lewis got the doubles setup and we had six folks step to the line. The four man squad consisting of Ronnie Manuel, Lewis Wyatt, Kenny Cox and Winky flew through 50 pair. I normally don’t have an issue scoring doubles but these four kept me busy. The wind did play with the pairs and that made it even more interesting. Tommy Brown and Jeff Galloway made up the second squad and they shot well. Tommy had a 46 and Jeff a 45 on the first trap with both fellows posting 48’s on the second trap.

Tommy Brown wound up winning the HOA with a 458 and next best was Winky Mabe with a 452. It was a long day for the shooters and a long day for the trap help. Folks tend to forget that we have pots on all three 50’s in the handicap. First/Mid/Last 50 would be a good payday for someone someday. Also, all traps at the Rock are set to the legal speed as mandated by the ATA and it doesn’t change during the event. If a squad has an issue with the trap we will accommodate the squad if there is an issue.

I would like to thank everybody that attended and to all that helped including, Hunter and Jeff Galloway, JT Brewer, Jim Roland, Scott Shoulars, Tom Cox and Van Fleming.

Please make a note that the Rock shoots again on May 4th and we will have a typical 300 target program. I am having some issues with Photobucket and will get pictures up as soon as I can……..