Rockingham Gun Club "Spring Open" Scores - 3/2/201

Post shoot results!
smokem

Rockingham Gun Club "Spring Open" Scores - 3/2/201

Post by smokem »

The Rockingham Gun Club hosted their “Spring Shoot” Saturday under cloudy skies and windy conditions. We had hoped for a bigger crowd and appreciate the folks that did show up to participate. We were missing some of our regulars including JC Nunn, Lewis Wyatt and Lane Murray was recovering from some type of crud. I would imagine they will be ripe and ready for the April “Marathon at the Rock” on April 6th.

Singles started out with relatively little wind and Tommy Brown topped all shooters using his new Yabba-Dabba-Doo crossfire eliminator. Yep, he took an idea that he read about on the web and adapted his own homebrew version of the device. I took some pictures that I will post to give you an idea of what it looks like.

We had a brand new ATA shooter compete for the first time and his name is John Shobert. He was shooting an Ithaca that was built in the early 1900’s and I missed the exact date. Skeet shooter Leo Weber invited him and Leo actually scored some of his first registered targets.

Ronnie Manuel got off to a slow start in singles and wound up running his last 50. He then went out and shot a great score considering the wind and topped all shooters with a 91. Tommy Brown started off great in caps with a 46 and then moved to field 1. The wind picked up and the sun went in and the targets got invisible real quick.

We had been missing Winky Mabe and Judy and lo and behold they showed up during the handicap. Winky said they went by the Madison Wal-Mart and tried to buy some shells. There were 4 loose boxes on the shelf and when they went to checkout the lady said she could only sell him 3 boxes. They pointed to a 20 gauge 4-pack and questioned her about the 4 boxes in the single box. She said that those 4 boxes in the single box counted as one. Folks this doesn’t look good does it and what are we going to face in the near future with shell availability?

Anyway, we had four shooters hit the line for the doubles. After the 1st 50 Ronnie and Winky were a bird apart. The pairs were really jumping around in the wind and really tricky. When the smoke cleared Windy broke another 41 to secure the doubles event. By the time the event ended the temp had dropped and it was getting cold.

Ronnie Manuel took the HOA with his 97/91/79 for a 267. It was a typical March day for the most part and the lunch was great with hot Brunswick stew. We would like to thank everybody that pitched in to help and to everybody that showed up to shoot. The next shoot will be 200 singles, 200 handicap and 50 pair of doubles. If you would like to get some targets this is the shoot to do it and for only $20 bucks per event plus daily fees.