Buckhorn Scores For January 19th, 2013

Post shoot results!
smokem

Buckhorn Scores For January 19th, 2013

Post by smokem »

The Buckhorn Gun Club held their 2nd shoot of the New Year January 19th, 2013. The weather was picture perfect and the wind was minimal for all three events. It was shirtsleeve weather for a few and the targets looked great also. I heard a few comment that it was a shame to miss a bird because they were flying so good.

I left early Saturday on my way to BGC but got called to work and that delayed me about one hour. When I drove up the driveway and onto the property I strained to look through the woods for who was shooting. I was amazed at what I was seeing and I couldn’t really believe my eyes. There was a big fellow shooting in a dingleberry colored t-shirt and a ball cap. I wasn’t wearing my PX distance glasses and I still wasn’t sure as to what I was seeing.

I jumped out of the truck and headed to field one and lo and behold it was Jimmy Wilson shooting singles along with Dan Johnson, Bob Mizner and Curtis Baker. I got there when they were shooting their third 25 and they were hitting the birds hard. I had no idea who had hit what until the scoresheet entered the clubhouse. Dan was 75 straight going into the last field and dropped one late for a 99 and just a few more than his running buddy Jimmy Wilson.

Lunch was served and everybody had a good lunch and folks were looking forward to shooting the handicap. We were entertained by Dan Johnson and his story about the hairlipped fellow at the horse race. The first two caps squads hit the line and the third squad was comprised of Dan and Jimmy. They started on field one and Dan was about 15 straight before he missed a bird. Jimmy had missed and few and let me get one thing straight. Jimmy doesn’t miss many birds but when he does it is a site to be seen and I have yet to catch in on video. Of course I have been threatened if I post certain videos also – FYI.

I took a few pictures and went back into the clubhouse to allow them to concentrate on shooting a good score in the caps. Jimmy was shooting his trusted Kolar and Dan was shooting a blinged out 90-T and he was shooting it well. Jimmy was shooting Nitro’s and Dan was shooting a lighter less recoil producing load. When the smoke settled Dan nipped Jim by a few and they headed to get the doubles set.

I watched Dan walk out to trap one with Jimmy’s Kolar O/U and he would be shooting with three other shooters. As Jimmy was setting the targets Dan mentioned something about borrowing a gun and Jimmy said “I am whupped”. Jeri mentioned something about shooting her O/U and then Jimmy said that would be fun with pull triggers. Jeri commented that Dan had shot skeet with pull triggers and that is when I said to Dan. Hey Dan I have my Kolar and you can shoot it if you want to? At that time Jimmy said to Dan to go get my gun and it was on.

We stepped over to the truck and I got the gun setup with a IM in the top and a MOD in the bottom tube. I asked Dan what he wanted to shoot first and he said the bottom tube. Dan and his squad stepped to the line and Dan got the party started. Dan called for his first pair and the call was dead/lost. Jimmy called for his first pair and the call was lost a pair. When they moved it was 7/7 for the posts one and two. I was pulling for Dan but the second bird kept getting away and I knew how he felt because the top tube wasn’t shooting where he thought it was shooting.

Dan finally switched to shooting the top tube first and he started breaking the pairs with ease. Jimmy would miss three out of ten and one out of 90 for an event winning score of 96. Once Dan figured my gun out he went 41/49 for a 90 and not bad for just picking up my gun 20 minutes before and shooting IM on the first shot and a MOD on the second shot. I reminded Dan that at the last BGC shoot he won the dubs with a 92 and he was shooting Jimmy’s gun.

I would like to sum it all up real quick and to the point. Dan won the singles, handicap and the HOA with Jimmy winning the doubles. Fun was had by all and it sure was great to see Dan and Jimmy back out shooting together again. I am sure they will shoot many more times this target year and there will be more stories to tell. I am just glad I was there to see it unfold on a nice sunny day at the Buckhorn GC near Mebane NC.

I will be posting the score sheets so as to save myself anymore typing…….

Mash on the link below for all the pix from the shoot:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... =slideshow

Mash on the link below for a doubles video you won't believe:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... I_4847.mp4