Rockingham "Red Dot Powder" Shoot 9/15/2012

Post shoot results!
smokem

Rockingham "Red Dot Powder" Shoot 9/15/2012

Post by smokem »

The weather was great for the annual “Red Dot Powder Shoot” at the Rock Saturday September 15th, 2012. There were very few clouds in the sky and somebody turned the wind machine on for the singles and the handicap. The doubles were shot with very little wind and that might have been the best time of the day to shoot.

We had a few visitors from Virginia and Alliant Powder rep Richard Quesenberry drove 170 miles to spread some lead in North Carolina. George Ponton also joined us for some handicap fun and we appreciate him making the trip.

We ran two traps for the singles and it was a horse race for the singles title. When the smoke cleared there were two shooters tied with 95’s. Jeff Galloway and Ronnie Manuel wound up shooting off for the honors and Jeff up taking the High-Gun award. Remember – if you want to shootoff instead of flipping – you can do it at the Rock.

We decided to run the handicap before eating lunch and we had some folks bearing down in this event. Tommy Brown had a 90 from the 27 and Ronnie Manuel had a 92 from the 22 yard line. Who knew that up laying in the tall weeds was forever young JC Nunn ready to put up the score of the day. He was only down 5 coming into the last field and only missed one for a 95 and the handicap Top-Gun honors.

We had a good lunch and setup trap 3 for the doubles. I got to ref all the doubles and it is great to see a PAT trap launch every single pair in the same spot every time. Having to chase a first bird with a trap moving around can be very frustrating for sure. Tommy Brown broke the winning score with a 95 but the story was JC Nunn.

Normally JC will just shoot 200 targets a day depending on the weather and how he feels. He stepped to the line with the AL-391 I sold him years ago. He shot with Winky Mabe and Lewis Wyatt in a three man squad. Winky and Lewis shot and JC called for a pair and his gun malfunctioned on his first pair. He had another FTF before I had to start calling birds lost. He wound up losing a couple of birds due to FTF’s and was going to quit and we suggested he use JT’s 390.

I went to JT’s to get it and JC started pounding birds with a Beretta 390 with the comb setup for a leftie. Well, he was breaking pairs of birds with no problems until the comb fell off the gun. Yep – he turned around and the comb and the hardware was laying in his hand. I suggested he use is AL-2 and he said – I ain’t walking up there to get it. So, I walked up there and got the AL-2 that was built in 1963 and the gun he won the caps with.

He jumped out on the line and broke a 47x50 for a total of 88 with all that bunch of distractions in the first 25 pair. You gotta give it to him and it is also a lesson to be learned. Trapshooting is a mind game and he didn’t allow the distractions to keep him away from bearing down and breaking one heck of a doubles score. And of course the best thing is that he laid it on Lewis Wyatt and I can hear them going at it right now.

The HOA was a tie between Ronnie Manuel and Tommy Brown. Ronnie had a chance to give Tommy a run for his money but Tommy wouldn’t let him off the ropes. The weather conditions during the shootoff were great and thanks to Judy we have pictures for the day due to me forgetting my camera – can you believe it?

Thanks to everybody that pitched in loading and scoring and don’t forget our next non-registered shoot is the 22nd of September.

Singles – 12 entries
95 – Champ – Jeff Galloway (SO) Ronnie Manuel
93 – AA – Tommy Brown
95 – A – Ronnie Manuel
80 – B – Mark Worrell (VA)
92 – C – Richard Quesenberry
87 – D – Wayne Banks (flip) Roger Shaffer
85 – JR – Zax Tate
89 – SrVet – JC Nunn

Handicap – 11 entries
95 – TopGun – JC Nunn
90 – Long – Tommy Brown
77 – Mid – Lewis Wyatt
92 – Short – Ronnie Manuel
85 – Vet – George Ponton
82 – SrVet – Roger Shaffer

Doubles – 6 entries
95 – HiGun – Tommy Brown
91 – AA – Jeff Galloway
82 – A – Winky Mabe
91 – B – Ronnie Manuel
88 – C – JC Nunn
85 – SrVet – Lewis Wyatt

HOA
278 –Tommy Brown (SO) Ronnie Manuel
272 – JC Nunn

Mash on the link below for the slideshow of pix - These were taken by Judy and a big thanks to her for her efforts. I will try to get around to caption all of the pictures sometime this week.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... =slideshow