Watauga August Scores

Post shoot results!
Spy100

Watauga August Scores

Post by Spy100 »

Watauga August Scores

What a great day in the mountains, the weather couldn't get any better. We did have some very dark clouds roll in over the mountain but it never rained. I can’t remember the wind being so kind to us. A quick change in lenses for the dark clouds and you would have never even notice the weather.
We had some new shooters come out and the cupcakes that Mrs. Karole Miller brought into the club for everyone was a real treat. And then there was this young man Braxton Ragan and his father. Braxton is going to be a shooter to watch in the upcoming years. With that I want to say thanks to all that made their way to the mountains Freddie said he had a crowd coming up. It was great!!!!!
Now with the scores and as all the other shoots Jonathan Miller visits, the high altitude had very little effect on his shooting. He takes top honors in singles with a score of 99. Then in handicap we had both the oldest and the youngest shooter lock horns with 94’s. That would be JC Nunn and Braxton Ragan, both were made to stand at the punching booth for half yard gains. Doubles were lead by Tom Brown with a score of 95.
Saturday August 25, 2012
Singles
Number of shooters 29
Champion Jonathan Miller 99
AA Class Jeff Galloway 98
A Class Tom Shelley 98
B Class JC Nunn 93
C Class Steve Watson 96
D Class Walter McCracken 98
Jr Faizi, Durland 95
Sub Jr Braxton Ragan 93
Lady Karole Miller 89
Vet Jim Jacobs 91

Sr Vet Tom Smith 79

Handicap
Number of shooters 24

Champion JC Nunn 94 Tie with Braxton Ragan
Long Yardage Jeff Galloway 91
Mid Yardage Tom Pitts 90
Short Yardage Eli Waters 92

Doubles
Number of shooters 16

Champion Tom Brown 95
AA Class Jeff Galloway 87 tie Larry High
A Class Jonathan Miller 94
B Class Morgan Shaw 91
C Class Freddie Redmon 88 tie JC Nunn
D Class Tom Shelley 83

HOA Tom Brown 281X300
Jonathan Miller 280x300
That’s about it, all but I have to make mention of the way Freddie was strong arming JC over that tie in C class doubles. And hope to see everyone at the Home Grounds for the Hall of Fame Shoot coming up.
smokem

More Watauga Info And Pix.......Video Is Coming

Post by smokem »

The Watauga Gun Club held their monthly shoot Saturday August 25th. The sun was shining early and Tom Shelley sent me a text that it was 49 degrees on the Blue Ridge Parkway. When we arrived at the club the cars were lined up along the river and we managed to park near to the shelter. I had JC Nunn on board and he prefers to be close to the facilities! I also had Jeff Galloway on board and the last time the three of us rode up to Boone together I almost got killed taking a picture of Jimmy Wilson bent over working on his camper.

We got signed up and they had a good number signed up to shoot. Tommy Brown also rode up from the flatlands and looked around and there were the Miller's and the Ragan's. A little more looking around and Matt and Collin O'Bryant were there - Richard Drake, Crews Walden and Charlie Keiger showed up. Not to mention the locals - Morg, BamBam, Spy100 & Spy2, The Waters, Steve "NewGun" Watson, Jim Jacobs, Tom Smith and look who showed up George Ponton. Even SrVet shooter Ivan Seville got dropped off at the club so his wife could go shopping.

George Ponton has been on the mend and the doc gave him the ok to come out and play. We got to shoot together and it was great to see him out doing what he loves to do! When the singles started the sun was shining and by the end of the singles the popcorn clouds were drifting across the mountains. By the time the caps started the here came the wind and the birds on trap one were going up up and away. When the doubles started the clouds had pretty much set in and a little wind made finding a hold point for the 1st bird a little tricky.

29 shooters stepped to the line for the singles and when the smoke cleared John Miller broke a 99 to lead all singles shooters. Jeff Galloway was close behind with a 98 and missed a bird on his last post. Watuaga management opted not to include the "Widowmaker" in the program so the Miller's didn't get to experience that fields magical appeal.

24 shooters shot the handicap and after the last shot was fired the oldest shooter and the youngest shooter on the grounds were tied with 94's. JC Nunn and Braxton Ragan were the only two shooters to break a 25 out of all the participants. Both got a punch and I have a picture of JC and Tom Pitts to prove it. I hate I didn't get a picture of Braxton getting his punch. I would take time to mention all the winners but I have posted the pictures below for your viewing pleasure.

11 doubles shooters took the line and experienced some interesting doubles. George has worked long and hard getting those traps from moving around. I believe you have to give the trap a moment to settle before you call for the target to be sure your first target stays in the same place. Tommy Brown managed to outpoint all entries and broke a solid 95 for the win. JC Nunn started out like a wildman with a 47 and then the wheel ran off the bus.

Tommy Brown broke 96-90-95 to capture the HOA win and we appreciate Watauga offering that to shooters. Some clubs in the state have done away with paying the HOA and not absolutley sure why that is.

With the turnout Watauga had they managed to payout quite a bit to the shooters. The daily middle fifty - Lewis - and the category payouts were suprising. JC Nunn would have won the daily mid50 but claims he didn't know they had one at Boone. Next time you see JC tell him to play the middle 50. Watauga manages to return a substantial amount of money to the shooters and they also offer $25 for gas in a drawing for shooters traveling over 100 miles and Tommy Brown won that.

All in all we had a great time and the weather was picture pefect as you can see from my pictures. Thanks to the Watauga Cartel and from what I hear the lunch was delicious. Hopefully we will be back before winter sets in and hope to make it to the Chicken Wing Fling in October.

Last edited by smokem on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
smokem

Watauga Slideshow...................

Post by smokem »

Mash on the link below for more pictures from the shoot at the Watauga Gun Club Saturday August 25th...

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... =slideshow

Mash on the link below for a link to "8" videos from the shoot....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/ ... 25%202012/