2010 Georgia State Trap Shoot (Addison and Jim Callan)

Post Your Pix Or Talk About Your Travels
jcallan

2010 Georgia State Trap Shoot (Addison and Jim Callan)

Post by jcallan »

Addison and I attended the 2010 Georgia State Trapshoot last week. Jeepers creepers those were l o o o n g days! It was a great shoot for us both, but it made for increadibly long days. Imagine attending a local registered shoot with a single trap and five or six full squads. This will give you an idea. Fields were random, but once your field was drawn you shot all 100 targets on the same trap. The first day they ran 6 fields. The remaining days they ran 8 fields. Sometimes there was a four hour lull between events. Next year I am bringing games and amusements. For those that camp I recommend an air conditioned tent with a nice cot for sleeping between events. Of course, if you are scientifically inclined I would recommend suspended animation between events.

The backgrounds are quite varied at this club. If you are sensitive to this sort of thing, it would drive you crazy. Largely there was little wind, but I found the fields hard to shoot. I was shooting with our spare gun until Jeff Galloway fixed mine midway through the shoot (Thanks Jeff). My scores reflected the changes. Addison had a great shoot and did not seem phased by the fields.

Again, I have some photos to share. Some folks you will recognize. Many others you will not. Because Addison and I squad together and shoot all events it makes getting photos a bit challenging. Enjoy.

These first shots are miscellaneous squads shooting on traps 3, 4 and 5 near the club house.

The next two shots are from field #4 along side the club house.

Here is a typical action shot from I think field #5.

The next shot is of three GA Sub Juniors huddling before they shot. They normally shoot with two other guys (lucky fellows), but the other two did not show up until the Saturday singles event.

Below is an action shot of a Junior shooter from GA. We found the GA youth shooters had highly disciplined squads and nifty outfits.

Two more photos of paired Junior shooters follow.

I could not resist snapping a photo of this Sr. Vet shooter. He followed our squad twice and always had on a very nifty hat (which seemed to change daily). I do not recall the fellow's name.

Here is an impromptu shot of Erich Meyer and Billy Thigpen getting caught up. Addison and I squaded with Erich on the first day of the shoot. Erich won several GA Junior trophies during the shoot.

Emanuel (Nate) Boyer and Addison got caught up since the Southern Grand. Below is a shot after Nate taught Addison how to play Texas Holdem and was pointing (excuse pun) out that all his chips seemed to be going to the wrong side of the table.

Shortly thereafter, Tom Boyer (Nate's dad) joined them for a few hands.

Addison decided to don his "lucky" shirt for the championship singles.

Throughout the tournament we squaded several times with a Sr. Vet 2009 All American named John Pickitt from Kentucky. John runs a nice photography studio http://www.limestonelakephoto.com with his partner Sheryl. John was kind enough to take a few quick snaps of Addison and I up on field #1 with my camera. My camera does not do his work justice. Thanks John.

Of course, John caught some last minute advice from Dad as well...

Only some Addison decided to listen to...

Saturday night had the traditional shooters dinner. The elected chefs were busy all alone all day preparing the excellent BBQ whilst we shot.

Below are two shots from the buffet line. In the second you can just notice Hunter Galloway making his way past (center).

Here is Addison with a Preliminary Singles trophy.

Sunday brought a ton of excitement, as Addison surprised all of us with a 97 in doubles to tie Jeff Galloway and Kenneth Inman for the championship. Although Kenneth chose not to stick around for the shoot off, coach Jeff could not resist shooting off with Addison if for no other reason than to provide a "teaching moment." Below is a shot of Addison and Jeff on post for the championship shoot off.

Honestly though this was an exciting shoot off. They were pair for pair up until the 7th pair. I sat beside Hunter and his wife as the three of us watched the spectacle. Addison "dutched" a pair and then followed with two dead pair for an 18, while Jeff ran the 20 to take the championship.

Below is a shot of Jeff dusting a pair off of post #2.

The two had a nice congradulatory shake immediately after the match.

And then stood for a few candid shots...

when they could keep a straight face.

All three (Jeff, Kenneth and Addison) won trophies that looked like the one Addison is holding below for Sub Junior Open Champ.

Addison also picked up an Open Sub Junior HOA trophy with a few others receiving additional trophies.

Dad is still working on his shooting game...

We both had a great trip. I believe the NC shooters represented our state well at the 2010 GA State Shoot.